Yikes! Stripes!!


Continuing with my bedroom redo, the next project I tackled and, coincidentally, the next item on the “To Do” list I shared here is custom curtains!
I blogged a little while ago about the fun little kitchen additions I created here.  What I DIDN’T tell you is that I finally broke down and decided to learn to sew.  This decision came out of my inability to be patient and my reluctance to spend money on things I can (obviously) do myself, like: sew a straight seam.  I digress.

Here is the inspiration picture for my curtains:



And here’s a couple of DIY posts that made me realize “I can do that, too!!”

Removable fabric stripes:

Painted stripes:

Ombre chevron stripes:

These girls all had great ideas, but I ruled each of their techniques out for one reason or another.  (Read: I was scared.)  Also, I’m a bit of a traditionalist (and had just bought a sparkly new sewing machine), so I wanted to sew my stripes!

I bought pre-made curtains like the ladies in the above-linked blogs did.

Sidenote:  When you are buying curtains, you want DOUBLE the width of the windows you are covering.  If you are buying pre-made panels, here is my best advice: Refrain from hanging a panel of curtains on either side of a window and calling it a day.  Most times, those panels are around 56” wide, and those panels will (might probably) seem puny and not give you the prettiest coverage when closed OR prettiest stack when open.  So, measure your window.  My wall-o-windows is 140-1/2” wide.  (Finding a curtain rod that big could have been a REAL nightmare if it weren’t for Google Searches.) 

So, I was in need of 281 inches of curtain panels.  K... (Luckily, I’m familiar with a certain store that has a knack for having decent items for pretty low prices.)  Here’s the pre-mades I bought.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80111985/
I had to buy three packages, but at $25 a package, I’m still doin’ alright, budget-wize.

I went ahead and threw those curtains in the washer and dryer to get all of the kinks out.  Then I laid one panel on my (steam-cleaned) floor and took a measurement.  (56” wide x 98” long)  I’ve found that, many times, actual dimensions and printed dimensions are different.  I also measured the height from ceiling to floor in my bedroom. 

A couple of tips: 1.  When hanging curtains, you want the rod to be just below the crown molding or ceiling and about 6-8” outside of the windows.  This will make your windows appear much larger than they are! 2.  The best length for curtains is lightly kissing the floor.  Too long and they puddle and puddling is, in my opinion, very formal.  Too short and they look like they’re waitin’ for a flood. 

Back to the task at hand:  There is a mathematical science to deciding how long your curtains should be and my brain doesn’t translate how it does that math into words very well.  You have to decide where your rod will be and how many inches of the total length is going to be above the rod and figure out how much panel you need between the rod and the floor, then add that to how much is going to be above the rod.  Divide that by the square root of 57 and multiply that by pi.  (Just kidding on that last part.)  Anyways, after I had done all of my acrobatic mathematics, I discovered I needed 88” long curtains.

Next I figured out how many stripes I wanted (7).  There is no right or wrong number of stripes, folks, although I am partial to odd numbers.  There is no correct width of the stripes, either.  I decided to treat the grommet section (4” wide) of the curtains as a band of sorts.  Subtracting the grommet section from the total left me with 84” of curtains.  Simple math time!  84/7=12!  My stripes would need to be 12” wide.

Let me give you a glimpse into the future… We are sewing the gray onto the existing white curtains.  We are NOT cutting the curtains apart just to sew them back together in stripes.  That would be cray cray.

Cray.

We’re not done with math yet, sadly, because before I could go fabric shopping (the fun part), I had to know how much fabric I needed.

I needed 56” long strips 12” wide.  Remember that.  I need 4 stripes per panel.  I want 6 panels of curtains.  That means I’m going to need 24 pieces of fabric 57” x 13”.  (See what I did there?  I added an inch to each dimension because we’re going to have to seam the edges of each piece.) 

Okay, stay with me here… It’s almost over.  24 stripes x 13”= 312”/36=8.667 yards of fabric.  You need 8.667 yards of 57” wide fabric!  Typical fabric widths are 45”, 54” & 60”.  If you fall in love with fabric that only comes 45” wide, you can get 3.46 stripes out of 1.58 yards, so you’ll need 12.65 yards of 45” wide fabric.  If you need help with an further calculations, email me, ‘cause I gotta finish this blog entry!  K?

I knew I wanted the stripes on my curtain to blend seamlessly with the walls.  And all of a sudden I had created the first challenge for myself:  I had already painted the walls.  So, I painted a piece of paper and set out to a couple of local fabric resources for my 8.667 yards of 60” fabric.  I thought I wanted cotton sailcloth like the base drapery panels, but they do not make it in the exact gray of my walls.  So, after some searching, I found a LOVELY linen type woven fabric in the perfect shade of Software gray.  It even had a little sparkle fiber woven in, which I totally loved, because my room tends to be a little on the dark side, despite the wall-o-windows and I thought the sparkle would just help reflect a little bit of light.

I purchased my 8.667 yards and then popped into the nearest sewing store (no, my fabric store and my sewing store are NOT the same) and purchased the thread that just matched my newly acquired linen sparkly woven.

A word of caution: do NOT fall in love with linen-like sparkly woven fabric.  It will break your heart and perhaps your spirit.  Mine frayed SO quickly and SO deeply that my 13” strips of fabric quickly became much less if I wasn’t SUPER careful with them.  (Really, though, they are absolutely gorgeous and worth the heartache.)

Okay, cut your 24 strips of 13” wide fabric.  If you bought 60” wide fabric, this is a pretty straightforward task.  If you had to settle for 45” wide fabric, you need to cut your widths first.  Measure out 57” and cut.  Then, cut along the long side to get your strips.  See, the whole point here is that your strips of fabric MUST be at least 1” wider than your pre-made drapery panels.

Hem your strips.  I did a 4/8” seam all the way around.  This step might be a bit extraneous for you, depending on the type of fabric you choose.  You might be able to iron a hem in the fabric and you can skip the sew hem and just go straight to pinning.  I had to sew a hem.  Gag.  This was te-di-ous.

Once you have your strips and your pre-made panels hemmed, you’re ready to get pinning! 

You’ll need your measuring tape and a nice wide open space for this next part.  I used my breakfast room floor.

Lay out your pre-made curtains and measure from the top of the drape to where you want the top of your first stripe to be.  Pin.  Repeat all the way across the panel.  I would suggest pinning very 6 inches or so because you do NOT want these things to move.  And there is lots of maneuvering involved once you get to sewing them on.

Measuring and pinning the fourth stripe.

Use LOTS of pins!

Once I had all of the stripes pinned REALLY well, I sewed them on!

A word to the wise:  measure down from the top of the panel each time you position a new stripe.  DO NOT measure from the bottom of the previous stripe.  

Here are my finished curtains!  (Sorry for the HORRIBLE lighting!)
  
TADA!!!

 And THAT is what I did while my son was sleeping!

XO,

MM.

PS.  If you have any questions or need any guidance or clarification, don't hesitate to email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment