Wheels Up! A “Back-To-School” Shopping Trip in New York


I am a lucky, lucky girl.  That’s pretty much all I can say.  I took a break from all of my DIY-ing and hopped a plane with my BFF to NYC for a long weekend.  It was actually right before she went back to (nursing) school, so I guess it really was a Back-To-School shopping trip!

My friend LT and I were discussing this last night:  We kind of get tunnel vision and switch back and forth between two modes.  “Fashion & Clothes Mode” and “Home Decorating and Interior Design Mode”.  I usually spend a good bit of time in either one or the other, but I’m not very good a multitasking these modes.  Well, I had an opportunity to put this into practice on my recent trip to the City that Never Sleeps.  I had 60 hours to gather up as much local-to-NY stuff as I could, which meant switching back and forth rapidly between my operation modes.  (There’s also “Foodie Mode”, but it can coexist with either of the other modes.)

I didn’t take pictures of my trip because I was so focused and intense with my hunting, but I can share a few places of note I hit up.  Remember: this girl is always on a budget!

Clothing:
H&M (A Budget-ista staple)
Joe Fresh (I got corduroys for $19, ya’ll.  $19.)
Uniqluo (great knits and outerwear)
C-Wonder (Perfect if your Preppy-inclined)

Home Décor:
C-Wonder
Pearl River Mart
ABC Carpet & Home

A few words on Home Décor spots and then some pictures of my spoils:

C-Wonder is one of the happiest stores I’ve ever been in.  The walls are a green and white rugby stripe and they have a live DJ spinning awesome upbeat popular and well-known music. One of the employees was actually dancing at the entrance when we walked in.  (I took the opportunity to bust out some moves of my own.)  They actually have an online store, which I would encourage EVERYONE to visit.  It’s prep-tastic, but rather affordable for both Clothing and Home Décor.  Here’s a picture of the great enamel frame I snatched up for cheap: 

(Notice that adorably sweet baby?!  He’s mine.)

Pearl River Mart is also tucked away in Soho at 477 Broadway.  You don’t want to miss out on this place, trust me.  They have all kinds of home décor for all aesthetics there.  I got a lacquered tray and box there for under $50.  Here they are.



 And here they are in my room.

My side.  (Disregard the plug, please!)


An aerial view...  Needs some orange,  I think.

Hubby's side.

Close up.


That’s where they reside for now… They’ll move around at least a dozen times before they’ve found their forever home in my room.  But I'm liking it so far!

(I guess you might have noticed by now that I’ve chosen orange as my POP! of color for my bedroom.)

Next on the list is ABC Carpet & Home.  Beware, budget-istas: this place is pricey.  AH-MAZING, but pricey.  This place is also online, but, like Pearl River, they do not have even a 10th of what they have instore online.  You have to go there.  I’ll admit, I was quite a bit intimidated by this place.  It’s two buildings, six stories each.  And it is overwhelming.  Not to mention, I did NOT have the money to spend in there that is required for most items.  So I just walked around pretending I could buy things and trying to cover up the sticker shock I was suffering from.  I did manage to talk myself into an absolutely perfect modern window pane quilted coverlet for my bed.  It’s made by Signoria.  It cost a pretty penny.  I won’t let my husband or son lay on it (even though it washes beautifully).  I am in love with it.

A closeup of the quilting
                          
Here's another shot...



Another thing I picked up while I was there was an Obi belt I found in a little Japanese store.  You’ll see it in the above pictures, draped over the end of the bed.  I originally had intended for it hang on the wall as a piece of art, but so far, I am LOVING it where it is.  I'm sure I'll still try it in other places...
Here's a closeup of the detail on the obi.

Totally gorg.


The room so far...

The entire bed wall.

Window wall

I almost brought back a rug and a million other things, but I would have shot my budget to hell and my husband would have put me under house arrest.  (Which, considering all of the projects to be done, wouldn’t be such a bad thing…)  As it was, I had to ship my purchases home because my luggage was WAY over-weight.  (I’m only slightly proud of that…)  It really wasn’t all that much, but airlines are total b’s about the fees they charge you these days.  (As if their 80 million ton plane can’t carry an extra 30 pounds for me.)

For any Foodies that might be reading my top recommendation for dinner is Tom Coliccio’s Craft, which, coincidentally, happens to be around the corner from ABC Carpet & Home.  Get a reservation and get ready for a truly life-changing culinary experience.  The man is gifted.

I'm still hunting for just the right accessories and have quite a bit left on my Bedroom Redo ToDo list, but it's coming along nicely, don't you think?!

Come back soon for a DIY Upholstered Bed project!


XO,

MM.

No comments:

Post a Comment