Bedroom Redo ToDo & Paint Color


Thanks to Pinterest and the seemingly unending flow of creativity and inspiration, I am in the middle of a massive bedroom redo.  Not a reno, sadly, but a massive redo.  I sat down with my handy-dandy iPad tuned to my Pinterest Board entitled “My House: Master” and wrote a to-do list.  Here is what it looks like, in digital form:
  1. paint
  2. rugby striped curtains
  3.  furniture update
    1.  bedside tables
    2.  upholstered bed
    3.  storags
  4.  rug
  5.  seating area
    1.  re-upholster loveseat
    2. pillows
  6. bedding update
    1. modern white coverlet
    2.  duvet cover
    3.  euro pillows
  7. bedside table decorations
  8. art
    1.  above-bed?
    2. above bedside tables?

 Quite the list, eh?

Of course, my actual list has little notes in the blank spaces about possible sources and color schemes and design elements, but I don’t have the digital graphic design talents or computer programs to properly recreate it, so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

Typically I choose what to do first based on level of necessity mixed with how “DIY” it is.  The more DIY it is, the higher up it typically moves on my list.  (The written list is in no particular order, by the way.)

Now, looking at that list you’d say “Well, number 1 is definitely a DIY item, so I’ll bet she did that one first.”  There’s nothing like a new coat of paint to breathe new life into a space, so you’re right.  That one did get done first.  But it wasn’t DIY.  Here’s why:  my room was previously purple.  And not a lilac or lavender light purple.  It was aubergine/royal purple.  I LOVED this color, folks.  I was PASSIONATE about this color.  But my room is large and it was just too much.  And, once I got the color (Sherwin Williams Concord Grape) on the masses of walls, I was overwhelmed by it and it stifled my creativity.  I completely lost my inspiration.  So sad.  But SUPER sad I had to make the difficult decision to paint over it, too.  So, I had someone else do it.  Let’s also not overlook the fact that painting over a color THAT dark is a b.  I didn’t want to do it.
I chose a lovely shade of gray because, well, gray and I have a thing.  He’s my favorite neutral.  I have about 15 shades of gray throughout my house, either in textiles, paint colors, marble, tiles… You get the idea.  I also love to wear gray, but that’s another story for another day.  
My inspiration for what shade of gray came to me one night while I was brushing my teeth.  I whipped out my Sherwin Williams paint deck and fanned it out over the carrara marble countertops in my master bathroom, and picked the darkest vein of gray.  (Did I mention I like a lil’ drama in my paint colors?) The winner was Sherwin Williams7074: Software.

I’d love to show you before and after pictures of my room, but I don't have them for this point in my redo.  You’ll have to trust me (for now) that Software has been extremely inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment